FAO - any  journalists wanting to attend
<http://www.londonsciencefestival.com/2011> London Science Festival 2011
events:

Press access to LSF11 events...

Our
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=vluq6geab&et=1108154047006&s=73&e=0012aoGPnln
Oj2n5JUkAla7dVsyOd7gkgT9RSmfE3VkQIkRrWt6nTjdkuaclhf0pDcEUiK-lNyitmU5Ocd4a-Ot
bKiqMlRgnGZOkba70LbUgFUcQnXKP6Fep3kiFvYimzCnHrYEhWWglmA=> events are
happening in our partner institutions across London, from 19-26 October
2011.

Press access for LSF11
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=vluq6geab&et=1108154047006&s=73&e=0012aoGPnln
Oj2n5JUkAla7dVsyOd7gkgT9RSmfE3VkQIkRrWt6nTjdkuaclhf0pDcEUiK-lNyitmU5Ocd4a-Ot
bKiqMlRgnGZOkba70LbUgFUcQnXKP6Fep3kiFvYimzCnHrYEhWWglmA=> events is being
negotiated on a 'venue-by-venue' basis.

To apply, we require:

1 - Name
2 - Publication affliation(s) - incl. website URL(s)
3 - Email

4 - Telephone number(s)

5 - List of LSF11 events you wish to attend

> Please email this information to  <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
[log in to unmask] with 'Press' in the subject field of your message.

NB: If your application is successful, we will issue you with a printable
press pass via email - you'll require this and a form of ID to gain access
to LSF11 events.

Bridget, Mars Rover | Press Preview, Jeremy Bentham Room, UCL - Saturday 22
October 2011, 9.30-11.00am...

Bridget, Mar Rover will be on public display at UCL from 22-23 October -
this will be a unique opportunity for Londoners to meet Bridget, Astrium's
Mars rover prototype for the European ExoMars Rover Vehicle Project - which
is due to launch for Mars in 2018.

In collaboration with Astrium, Venture Thinking and UCL,  London Science
Festival is holding a press preview for Bridget, between 9.30-11.00am, in
the Jeremy Bentham Room, UCL, on Saturday 22 October 2011.

Members of the press will have the opportunity to meet and photograph the
rover, and partake in a Q&A session with the Astrium engineers developing
the rover for the ExoMars Rover Vehicle Project - ahead of the rover's first
public opening.

> To reserve a place, please send your RSVP to
<mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] with 'Bridget' in the
subject field of your message, and the following information:

1 - Name
2 - Publication affliation(s) - incl. website URL(s)
3 - Email

4 - Telephone number(s)

Bridget's LSF11 microsite:
<http://www.londonsciencefestival.com/2011/bridget>
http://www.londonsciencefestival.com/2011/bridget

Bridget, Mars Rover

<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=vluq6geab&et=1108154047006&s=73&e=0012aoGPnln
Oj2khST_aD2j3bTHlGSkp54TSkYnEZs8Dk8gU2RuHu_K0dOSYXZH28XN1-d3XkVxiNJLZo-O-VjJ
_AmHAWHYICTsHCOsnAG3Dng9nQepb7YuqzdokYGZ8P-d_1BnVEoL4RfOsysqhvjrRCedaeq1nJB-
CDdHZmSS_NRjcxHRReP_9Lgl3lDPO9azoIswnJE7bgy0M_nDbGl-1QpQ9e8flkzN> Bridget is
the first breadboard full-size rover developed and built as part of the
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=vluq6geab&et=1108154047006&s=73&e=0012aoGPnln
Oj0YO8ds2wYWpueXreIP1hNXbahEIkFDPQKckdP8_d3RnWC0THVdPRINjxTRMUOIYQLW8P1L-dIV
i5N_CytyVuL1P53U0qrxt8F8bp75CcHA5U6LTH0RlI4Q90_tvgkyRsNBGzbFeEIWcw==>
ExoMars Rover Vehicle Project. Funded by Astrium R&D, Bridget was designed
to aid in the development of the flight ExoMars locomotion system, and was
later used in the preliminary testing of the autonomous navigation system.

Bridget comes to UCL after an intensive trial session on the martian-like
terrain of Tenerife. In this exhibit, Bridget rovers over a simulated Mars
landscape controlled remotely by an operator. Bridget speed is only a few
centimeters per second, but it is powerful enough to overcome severe
obstacles expected on the martian soil.

Bridget plays an important role in Astrium's outreach programme to promote
its activities and to increase the student uptake of STEM subjects. In
particular, she demonstrates the link between theoretical engineering and
real spacecraft. Bridget captures the interest of students and the general
public as a whole in a way no other outreach activity does, and engages them
on a number of levels.

Astrium

Number 1 space company in Europe and no. 3 worldwide, Astrium employs 15,000
men and women in five countries: France, Germany, the UK, Spain and the
Netherlands. 15,000 professionals chosen from among the very best, all
passionate about space and driven by the great adventure of our time -
bringing the infinite potential of space down to Earth for the benefit of
mankind.

Astrium boasts some of the most advanced design, manufacture and test
facilities in the space industry. It has unrivalled expertise in the
techniques and key technologies required for development and delivery of
major space systems.

<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=vluq6geab&et=1108154047006&s=73&e=0012aoGPnln
Oj3aEZFeMwjyK4A0Cy3oqoP246ZfkivevBqvVhVV0Zh4g8WKTPppgG4QirkCZ7QyZgDHfDaNA_Vr
Rl5ga1v7V2StQxgFHUTpcCw=> astrium.eads.net

UCL

UCL is among the world's top universities, as reflected in performance in a
range of rankings and tables. 21 Nobel prizewinners have come from the UCL
community. The University has a global reach and global vision. 38% of UCL
students come from outside the UK, attracted from nearly 140 countries
around the globe.

UCL was founded in 1826 as a radically different university, opening up
English higher education for the first time to people of all beliefs and
social backgrounds.

<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=vluq6geab&et=1108154047006&s=73&e=0012aoGPnln
Oj25-SNsTJpgFC6FEc6w07ds_3rQgTpf6PLh6cm_HAl2yThXd6SctMYEx60zkBXEUBqJHoEIJjiW
Gg-jtAliTHtKo4lj3VQVdgs=> ucl.ac.uk

Venture Thinking

Venture Thinking inspires young people to think about exciting careers in
science, technology, engineering and mathematics through partnering with
companies and projects in the space world.

Venture Thinking has developed a number of award winning projects for Queen
Mary University of London, Ideas Foundation, London Borough of Newham, The
Learning Trust Hackney and others.

<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=vluq6geab&et=1108154047006&s=73&e=0012aoGPnln
Oj0HshlcVf3uAWQqs3geO_abP_we6n5d5bLTHbpsxO3dcVn-ETzhgNWNg1Hr5WUliVfJdq30QUMx
Sg3x_Z1Owjj50QsjBdcpVKZhmoUDmR5tXg==> venturethinking.com

London Science Festival

London Science Festival is a brand new festival for London in 2011, which
was founded with the mission to inspire and engage the public in all things
scientific, from natural science to science in its most cultural contexts.

<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=vluq6geab&et=1108154047006&s=73&e=0012aoGPnln
Oj1FvIwrjHfhcJ427klqmBjtJ7Ma9gqosgM4Cfe7d9EVXzsP446palRzSC3Ii81ShyztGNuyLNZH
ulcN6vdwptRLlwFrurblsRAW76XhUMrP-zdkMPXPWul1> londonsciencefestival.com

Look forward to seeing press and non-press at this year's inaugural London
Science Festival.

Our opening night events have all *sold out* - but tickets are still
available for other evening events:
<http://www.londonsciencefestival.com/2011>
http://www.londonsciencefestival.com/2011

Art programme...

Our art programme also opens on Wednesday, with some great science-art
partners, and several exhibitions (all free entry) are running all the way
through the Festival:
<http://www.londonsciencefestival.com/2011/#artexhibitions>
http://www.londonsciencefestival.com/2011/#artexhibitions

Science-art lovers, we'll see you at the special private view of GV Art
Gallery's current show (I think it's one of their best), 'Sense of Taste',
on Thursday evening - art + science + drinks =
<http://www.londonsciencefestival.com/2011/gvartprivateview/>
http://www.londonsciencefestival.com/2011/gvartprivateview/

Finally...

FINAL REMINDER THAT TOMORROW NIGHT (MONDAY 17 OCTOBER, 7PM), the sameAs team
are running a special 'Space'-themed LSF11 Satellite event; an evening of
intergalactic talks and drinks at The Driver, King's Cross, N1:
<http://www.londonsciencefestival.com/2011/sameas>
http://www.londonsciencefestival.com/2011/sameas

Best,

Wynn

Wynn Abbott

Director, London Science Festival

19-21 Crawford Street
Marylebone
London W1H 1PJ

E:  <mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]
W:  <http://www.londonsciencefestival.com> www.londonsciencefestival.com

Fbk:  <http://www.facebook.com/londonsciencefestival>
www.facebook.com/londonsciencefestival

Tw:  <http://www.twitter.com/LondonSciFest> www.twitter.com/LondonSciFest

Important Notice - Disclaimer

This email is from London Science Festival. This email and any attachments
may contain confidential information and/or copyright material. This email
is intended for the use of the addressee only. Any unauthorised use may be
unlawful. If you receive this email by mistake, please advise the sender
immediately by using the reply facility in your email software and then
delete the message. Email sent to London Science Festival may be monitored
in line with current legislation and good practice.