Teena,

You wrote:
{snip}
points to the range of (research) activities in which PhD students engage, as individuals learning new
scholarly practices in the process of contributing knowledge to a field. I prefer to think of this as a
landscape of knowledge rather than a body, as the former suggests multiplicity, diversity and room
to move and look around.

Abbott's theory of the system of professions, and the notion of a body of knowledge are not without their own pitfalls. (The closet Foucauldian in me takes issue with the notion of a body of knowledge.) However, one of the benefits of using the language "body of knowledge" is that there are precedents in other design disciplines for investigating/interrogating a "body of knowledge" (c.f. ASLA, 2004; Guerin & Martin, 2001). For my research project, drawing upon previous research (and its literature) are critical to situating it (graphic design knowledge/graphic design's body of knowledge) within a larger corpus of research about disciplinary/work/professional knowledge. By doing this (to use Abbott as a framework) I trace the profession to cultural values (e.g. situate it within a larger body of scientific/scholarly knowledge). Indeed, Guerin and Martin (2001) reference Abbott in defining the rationale for their ongoing body of knowledge studies for interior design.

While a 'landscape of knowledge' is appealing in the ways you described, it doesn't fit with my research nor the theoretical framework the research engages.

You also state that
Rather than making a clear distinction between the range of institutional activities design academics
at all stages of their scholarly careers engage in, I suggest that we are both educating individuals as
well as ourselves while simultaneously contributing to the multiple landscapes of design knowledge
{snip}

My previous statements about professions/graphic design knowledge/graphic design's body of knowledge did not insinuate any particular ranking of types of knowledge. (Or if it did, then that was a mistake.) Indeed, Abbott's work (1988) is an interesting exploration of the types of disciplinary knowledge and work, the pitfalls of each type/location, and the role(s) these play in maintaining a discipline's jurisdiction. The strength and weakness of particular aspects of work/disciplinary knowledge can make a jurisdiction (control over work) either weak or strong, depending on a variety of factors. I won't go further into this here unless someone asks, as this is a much longer discussion.

Best,
Kate.

Abbott, A. (1988). The System of Professions: An Essay on the Division of Expert Labor (1st ed.). University of Chicago Press.

ASLA. (2004). Landscape Architecture Body of Knowledge Study Report. Washington, DC: Author. Retrieved from http://www.asla.org/uploadedFiles/CMS/Education/Accreditation/LABOK_3_pages.pdf

Guerin, D., & Martin, C. (2001). The interior design profession’s body of knowledge: Its definition and documentation. Toronto: Association of Registered Interior Designers of Ontario.

Kate LaMere, PhD
Assistant Professor and Area Coordinator of Graphic Design
School of Art and Design
Mail Stop 502
East Carolina University
Greenville, NC 27858 USA