Dear Alison,

Thanks for Rick’s article. From what I see, nothing he says
contradicts my point. He suggests that there are schools where
venturesome and experimental designers verge on art. True enough. This
has always been the case. Many interesting designers come to mind who
cross the border into art – Tony Dunne and Fiona Raby, George
Maciunas, Lucy Kimbell, Wolfgang Laubersheimer, Katherine McCoy … many
others come to mind. All of these designers deploy artistry to shift the
framework of perception in usable (or semi-useful) products, services,
and visualizations.

But I’d ask how many of the Dutch students can do the rest of what
these others can do to solve client problems. Rick seems to suggest that
this is the question. The professors can afford to work in a framework
of free play. This may not be the case for the students once they go to
work.

There are two questions here. First, one must ask how many of these
students will survive in the design business long enough to make a
difference. Second, one must ask whether they learn the skills they need
to work on the kinds of complex problems that designers face today.
Please read Don Norman’s earlier Core77 blog again, titled, “Why
Design Education Must Change.” That suggests what these students are
missing.

The relationship between art and design is not clear, but the
appropriate and sometimes fuzzy nature of the border zone may be located
at one place when students are paying tuition at design schools. It may
have a far different location when clients pay designers.

Warm wishes,

Ken

Professor Ken Friedman, PhD, DSc (hc), FDRS | University Distinguished
Professor | Dean, Faculty of Design | Swinburne University of Technology
| Melbourne, Australia | [log in to unmask] | Ph: +61
39214 6078 | Faculty

Alison Barnes wrote:

—snip—

As an addition here, I have recently read Rick Poynor's piece in Print
magazine in which he seems to suggest the art/design relationship is no
longer so clearly defined. I'm not saying I necessarily agree, but
thought it might be of interest.

http://www.printmag.com/Article/Observer-A-Report-from-the-Place-Formerly-Known-as-Graphic-Design

—snip—