Hi Rob

I would definitely agree that the emphasis is placed on linking BA & MA and
that, in my experience, the possibility of PhD as a further option seems
never to be mentioned. Not even with the growth in practice-led studies.
Though I may be out of date here as I guess I have been a bit out of the
teaching side of things for a few years whilst sitting on the student side
of the fence full time.

I had an interdisciplinary supervisory team, including a professor of Human
Geography. Sometimes I think it would have been good to situate myself
differently - to have registered with Queen Mary, for example, and have the
'guest' supervisors from my 'home territory'. That way, I too would have
received the kind of training you are talking about. I suspect it is less of
a pre/post 92 issue and more of the art school/academia, immature/mature
research culture issue. The university I was based at is a mono-cultural
institution in the sense that it is purely art & design. I suspect other
post 92 institutions that are broader in scope offer those art & design
students doing PhDs a similar training programme to yours. Though again, I
may very well be wrong. Interestingly my human geography professor was
really on board with the 'visual', but I guess there is a tradition of the
visual within the geography, and she has also worked in collaboration with
artists regularly.

With regard to graphic design specifically, I am not sure that I was any
better off in terms of the knowledge of anyone running the training
programme, as it it was pretty much exclusively fine art oriented -
definitely no interest in the letterhead, never mind anything else design
related. I felt very much like a second class citizen as a graphic designer,
but that is probably a whole other thread...

Cheers,
Alison

--
* * *