Hi Alison

I want to briefly return to the specific point you make here (below) because I think provides some a critical reflective insight to the current climate that a mature PhD candidate with our respective backgrounds may be faced with in electing to do a PhD. Your experience contrasts with my own at a research led Russell Group university in the UK that probably would not recognise graphic design beyond the emblem on its letterhead.

From the very beginning, I was encouraged to undertake research training courses provided by the Graduate School, and the choice was wide-ranging. A quick glance back at what I elected to do in the early phase is listed below, the only compulsory course being the 'Tradition of critique'.

The point I want to make here is that often these courses were populated by Masters as well as PhD students studying topics as broad as 'nursing studies' to 'violence in same sex relationships'. It was bewildering to me, despite my experience in industry. But. I began to understand how established research subjects nurtured their future PhD students.

Would you agree that in 'art school' based design education the emphasis has seemed to be on linking BA and Masters, rather than Masters and Doctoral level studies. Its often quoted that traditionally the terminal degree for art and design is MA, and this is consistent of those tutors who taught you and me.

I wonder if this is a critical point of recent historical differentiation between pre/post 92 Universities in the UK, between art school/academia, between independent/co-dependent disciplines, between immature/mature research cultures.

Of course, in the approach I experienced there was little empathy with the tradition of inquiry in arts based 'design practice', so there is an balance to be struck. But, does here lie one of the important challenges for the future of research in arts based education.

Rob

Dr Robert Harland | Lecturer | School of the Arts | School of the Arts, English and Drama | Loughborough University
http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/sota/staff/robert-harland.htm<http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/sota/staff/robert-harland.html>

—Websites
—Referencing and citing using Endnote and Reference Manager
—Analysing interview transcripts
—Interview workshop
—Tradition of critique (11 x 2hr sessions)
—Getting started with research design and statistics: 3
—Getting started with research design and statistics: 2
—Getting started with research design and statistics: 1
—Planning research and time management
—Exploiting the power of MS Word a+b long documents from scratch
—Questionnaires
—Case studies
—Traditions in qualitative research
—Nature of the PhD and the supervision process
—Observational & ethnographic research in social sciences
—Focus groups
—Introduction to qualitative research
—Philosophy of science, scientific ethics & research design