Re: Ken’s post on Zotero Group ‘Research Through Design’

Rosan,

You wrote, “Ken is right in pointing out the Zotero‚ Research Through
Design’ group library as it is now is nothing close to a critical
literature review.  He is however wrong to infer that I have misread
Victor’s challenge.”

With respect to your claim, two points require comment.

First, the book list you’ve posted on Zotero is not an annotated
bibliography, but rather a list of print resources. An annotated
bibliography would offer 1) bibliographic citation, 2) author
background, 3) content or scope of text, 4) outline of the argument, 5)
description of intended audience, 6) description of research methods, 7)
conclusions, 8) reliability, 9) special features, 10) discussion of
relevance or usefulness, 11) thematic or conceptual analysis, 12)
discussion of strengths and limitations, 13) view or reaction of the
author of the annotated bibliography. You provide your views and
reactions, but you give no information about the items in the list.

My comment on your misreading of Victor’s note is not an inference.
To infer is to derive a conclusion from facts or premises. I drew no
inferences. I quoted Victor:

“I am not a big fan of lists if the material on the lists has no
context, no relation between the texts. The basic point of my initial
post was to argue for a mapping of texts and issues as a way to orient
old and new researchers so that thought in the design research field can
develop as it has in other fields where such mapping has occurred. The
point is not to collect resources but rather to know where and when they
originated and why.”

The Zotero list does nothing more than collect resources. Victor makes
a different point: “The point is not to collect resources but rather
to know where and when they originated and why.”

Yours,

Ken

Professor Ken Friedman, PhD, DSc (hc), FDRS | University Distinguished
Professor | Dean, Faculty of Design | Swinburne University of Technology
| Melbourne, Australia | [log in to unmask] | Ph: +61
39214 6078 | Faculty