Terry,

In American English, we use "nation" and "state" the way the Australians do. I live in the State of North Carolina but my "nation" or "country" is the United States of America.

Every fifty years or so we get into a large fight about what that means--what power do states have and what power does the federal government have.  I made a wood type poster for the 150th anniversary of the fight that killed about 650,000 Americans that's at http://www.heritageoftreason.com but it was also about the current incarnation of the argument.

(I suspect that there's a good joke about "nation" in "incarnation" but I'm afraid that I'm not up to finding it today.)

Gunnar
Gunnar Swanson Design Office
1901 East 6th Street
Greenville NC 27858