Hello Sharon

I don’t think it is staff members who are doing the hugging of the body, unless they have a very  unhealthy love of their job. I think Gillian means that  it is the relatives who hug the body and then shake hands with funeral directors etc.

Anne

On 12/10/2011 16:26, "Naylor, Sharon [HMPS]" <[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Would probably be useful for you to identify which infectious conditions you are worried about, what the routes of transmission are and risk assess from there

I would think that the wearing of gloves could be initially construed as highly insensitive, also not sure how protective gloves would be if they are getting hugged?

From: [log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kinselley, Gillian - Oxfordshire Customer Services
Sent: 12 October 2011 15:43
To: [log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Subject: [OCC-HEALTH] corones office employees

Does anybody look after staff of the Coroners office?

I am interested in if you would advise the coroners staff to wear gloves when attending deceased body viewing with relatives.  Some relatives tend to hug and touch the deceased and then shake hands/ hug touch with the staff member.  With our diverse society some relatives or friends could be unkempt or have infectious medical conditions   as the deceased if its for the initial identification.

Interested in anybody’s thoughts

Gillian

Occupational Health Manager

Oxfordshire County Council

Rewley Road

Oxford

OX1 2EH

[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]

 telephone 01865 815295

This email, including attachments, may contain confidential information. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender by reply and delete it immediately. Views expressed by the sender may not be those of Oxfordshire County Council. Council emails are subject to the Freedom of Information Act 2000. http://www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/emaildisclaimer

This email was received from the INTERNET and scanned by the Government Secure Intranet anti-virus service supplied by Cable&Wireless Worldwide in partnership with MessageLabs. (CCTM Certificate Number 2009/09/0052.) In case of problems, please call your organisation’s IT Helpdesk.

The original of this email was scanned for viruses by the Government Secure Intranet virus scanning service supplied by Cable&Wireless Worldwide in partnership with MessageLabs. (CCTM Certificate Number 2009/09/0052.) On leaving the GSi this email was certified virus free.