I have, in the past, worked with the print industry.

The cost of the materials in a book is low but there are other costs - design, printing, binding, transport of the finished books and wages.
The author gets some of the money but when you consider the length of time spent in researching and writing the book the hourly rate received is pennies.

If you want to trail around all the charity shops for many years on the off-chance that the non-fiction book you are after will appear then that is your choice. My experience is that the non-fiction in Charity shops is usually Book Club or previously remaindered stuff.

£25 is not high for a new non-fiction book - many are double that at least. A pot-boiler fiction is getting on for £20 in hardback now and they are a lot more emphemoral than non-fiction.

If you do not want to pay full price then check AbeBooks or Amazon's previously owned books.

Hazel Fleming.