From: Tom Heller [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 27 October 2011 12:44
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [POHG] recommended text books for health workers in developing countries

Dear POHG comrades,
Forgive me for asking you again for some assistance. Can you help with some recommendations, please?
The IADP is a British charity that works with publishers and centres of education to provide access to downloadable eBooks. The IADP operates in Southern Africa in association with OER Africa, and it is now extending its operations into other regions.
This charity has asked for the titles of books that would be relevant to students studying for qualifications in community and public health, nursing and midwifery. The project is being funded by Indigo Trust, which is a member of the Sainsbury Family Trusts. It provides an excellent opportunity to widen access to a range of up-to-date texts.
Can you help?
We would value your advice about which textbooks you consider would be relevant, useful and appealing to students in the following areas:
Ø  Child and maternal health
Ø  Communicable diseases
Ø  Health Education
Ø  Hygiene and Environmental Health
Ø  Immunization
Ø  Non-Communicable Diseases, Emergency Care and Mental Health
Ø  Nutrition
Ø  Reproductive health
From all the responses we receive and review, a final list of 20-30 titles will be compiled and IADP will negotiate with publishers to make these books available in digital format and at a substantial discount.
If you are able to provide a list of books (see below for more details) relating to all or any of the subject areas listed above, that are written at a level suitable for entry- and mid-level health workers, by Tuesday 8 November I should be very grateful.
The following information is needed:
Books

Book title:
Author(s)/editor(s):
Publisher:
ISBN:

Finally, please feel free to forward my email to anyone else who you think may be able to help.
With my thanks and very best wishes,

Tom Heller

******************************* Politics of Health Group Mail List Message *******************************

Visit the PoHG website for lots of interesting links and publications:

http://www.pohg.org.uk/