Re: c-section for all women who request it by NICE? Sorry I didn’t notice the date! Don’t know where I was earlier as it didn’t catch my attention!

I was going to say, however, that we should also remember that there is very little solid evidence on women wanting CS for no reason. Studies suggest that only a small number of women do seek CS without medical recommendation and when they do, there is often a very good reason such as previous traumatic birth, particular personal or psychological reason for fears. Obviously the numbers may begin to increase in countries where is comes to be more normalised, with high rates of  CS overall.

The critical review of literature we conducted – published in Birth in 2007 – examined these issues, and the follow up article, which looked at conceptual aspects, also examined the issues around medical birth being normalised and women in some settings getting very poor support in labour, combined with high risk of an unplanned CS because of prevailing high rates.

The role of the media does worry me though, as it gives the impression that there are hordes of women wanting (typically ‘demanding’) a CS and this in itself may work to normalise elective CS and to give the impression either that women are weak and silly (tone of some earlier media reports) or that CS is much easier than labour, whereas the evidence suggests that even elective CS can be a very difficult experience for women and very painful postnatally, aside from all the clinical evidence regarding risks, which should be available to women in an understandable form.

The refs were:

McCourt C, Beake S, Weaver J, Gamble J, Creedy D (2007) Elective Caesarean Section and Decision Making. A critical review of the literature. Birth, 34:1 March 2007 pp 65-79.

And

Gamble, Jenny RM, PhD; Creedy, Debra K. RN, PhD(Psych); McCourt, C BA, PhD; Weaver, Jane RM, PhD; Beake, Sarah RM, MA A Critique of the Literature on Women's Request for Cesarean Section. Birth. 34(4):331-340, December 2007