this practice (of bede rolling) sounds to me very similar to that of the
French monastic "obituary rolls" (_rotuli_) which were sent around from one
house to another, inscribing the names of departed brothers in "affiliated"
monasteries for the purpose of soliciting prayers for them.

since most "parish churches" at least began their lives as the property (if
not priories) of monastic houses, might it not seem reasonable to assume that
the practice followed in the Mother House was taken up in the kids'?

the older publication of the French "Rouleaux des morts"

Leopold Delisle, Rouleaux des morts du IXe au XVe siècle (Société de
l’histoire de France. Publications in octavo, 135). Paris: Renouard, 1866.

has been superseded and vastly supplemented by this definitive one, done under
the auspices of the Academie des Inscriptions et Belles Lettres:

Jean Dufour, Recueil des rouleaux des morts: (VIIIe siècle-vers 1536).
(Recueil des historiens de la France. Obituaires. Série in-4o; tome 8) Paris,
2005-6. 4 vols.

one of those vols. (i can't remember whether it's the first or the last) is
devoted to a long general introduction to the phenomenon.

i have no idea what the English practice was, but, since most everything good
in France was copied there, perhaps these things existed out on the Western
Fringe as well.