No, though confession was a "forum internum" with legal ramifications.  What I mean is the friars were intruding into many aspects of diocesan life, whether a bishop's jurisdiction over heresy or a parish priest's role in annual confessions & communions under the decree Omnis utriusque sexus of Lateran IV.
Tom Izbicki

From: "Christopher Crockett" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, October 28, 2011 10:26:28 AM
Subject: Re: [M-R] Theft of metal from UK churches

From: Thomas Izbicki <[log in to unmask]>

> I am looking at the inquisitors' role as yet another intrusion of the
mendicants into what was traditionally the work of bishops & parish priests.

"parish priests" held court??

am i right in assuming that this "intrusion" more or less began with the
crusade against the Albists?

or were there other examples of it, perhaps even pre-dating the mendicants?

i forget when we start getting Eyetalians being introduced into the chapter at
Chartres (and, presumably, elsewhere) --before 1250, i believe-- and i've
always just assumed that that phenomenon represents an "intrusion" of papal
power into what was certainly, "traditionally," a very local institution (the
Chapter of Chartres), personnel-wise.

there should be a study of "foreigners" in French cathedral chapters in the
13th c., but i've never come across it.

have to ask a reference lieberrian, i suppose...

>The crusade issue within Europe is a messy one too, as you well know.

well, it certainly seems to have been "messy" from the point of view of poor
Ray of Toulouse.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]