I looked to see if you were from New Orleans. This has been going on ever since Katrina. People try to rebuild in a deserted neighborhood and the pipes (and everything else) is gone by morning of the next day. Times are tough all over.MG

Marjorie Greene

http://medrelart.shutterfly.com/

--- On Thu, 10/27/11, Elaine Beretz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: Elaine Beretz <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [M-R] Theft of metal from UK churches
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Thursday, October 27, 2011, 9:34 PM

I have been enjoying all the twists and turns of this thread over the past few days.

But let me tell you about my afternoon. I was working at home, enjoying the peace of my suburban Philadelphia neighborhood, when suddenly there were about five police cars pulling up in front of my house. Then about ten officers were chasing a man into my back yard, wrestling him to the ground, and taking him away.

Turns out that he had broken into the house next door (a lovely old Victorian) and was stripping the copper pipes from the cellar! In broad daylight.

So theft of metal is not just for churches anymore ...

Elaine

Elaine M. Beretz, Ph.D.

Research Associate

Center for Visual Culture