Just a footnote, and a little nit to pick, on the following:

On 10/28/2011 10:05 AM, Terri Morgan wrote:

> Today, October 28, is the feast of:
>
> Simon Zelotes/Cananaeus . . . Simon was called either the Canaanite of
> [sic, or] the Zealot (because of his zeal for the Jewish law before
> his conversion) in the gospels.

Apparently the Hebrew qana (thus "Canaanite") means "zealous" (thus
"zealot"), which suggests that these attributions stem from the early
tradition in Aramaic or Hebrew being brought over into Greek
(transliteration and translation). It might also mean that the "Zealot"
political movement in Palestinian Judaism which appears later in the
sources (e.g. Josephus) was also called "Canaanian" or the like in the
Semitic speaking world by the time these gospel traditions became fixed
in the present form. Interestingly, Jerome -- who had learned some
Hebrew -- didn't make this connection but took "Canaanite" as a location
identifier, from the town of Cana.

That's the footnote. The nit is that using the term "conversion" in this
context is quite anachronistic, since becoming a follower of Jesus at
that stage, before "Christianity" had emerged as an option over against
"Judaism," is historically misleading. And if "zealot" described Simon's
energy -- perhaps even if it referred to a political position -- it
probably also continued to describe him as a follower of Jesus, who is
depicted as somewhat of an apocalyptic rabble-rouser in some of the sources.

Bob Kraft, UPenn

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]