But the first place to start, for a clear basic introduction, is:

John Harper, The Forms and Orders of Western Liturgy from the Tenth to
the Eighteenth Century: A Historical Introduction and Guide for Students
and Musicians (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1991)

Vogel can be rather difficult to understand (it's about the sources...);
a companion to Vogel (from the point of view of the books!) is:

Eric Palazzo (trans. Madeleine M. Beaumont), The History of Liturgical
Books from the Origins to the Thirteenth Century (Liturgical Press, 1997)

I think it would be helpful for everyone to discuss the questions here.
To kick off, the pontifical is the Bishop's book (hence the name) and
contains services which (generally only) the bishop would perform (e.g.
consecrating churches, ordaining clergy). The sacramentary is the
predecessor of the missal, generally only containing the priest's
prayers for the mass (e.g. collect, secret, postcommunion.) As for
blessings, where you will find them depends on who is doing the blessing
and for what purpose. Votive masses are another can of worms, but they
are special or extra masses.

John Briggs