Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 23:55:47 +0800
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: English and Chinese syntax
To: [log in to unmask]

Hi 桑甜,
I had similar concerns on how to explain the word order for my beginners as there is insufficient accumulation at syntactic level for them to reflect on. However, the Chinese syntax is totally logical and I think it shares some similarities with the sign language. Something working really well with my learners was miming: I gave the class an instruction and they had to mime it, e.g. "can I sit down?". They pointed at themselves first out of instinct to emphasise "I" and then the chair. So this was my starting point to introduce simple interrogative sentences. With the miming activity, my learners grasped the basic logic behind Chinese language and the idea of saying "我可以...吗" instead of  "可以我..吗?" sank in quickly.

As my own experience is limited to beginners, I'd like to hear other teachers' thoughts on this.

Regards,

Qingwei

Mandarin Chinese GTP
Grey Court School
Richmond

At 2011-10-20 14:25:48,"桑甜" <[log in to unmask]> wrote: >Good morning everyone, > >I would like some advice about the syntax in Chinese. I find difficult to explain why the words are in such order in a sentence in Chinese (different from the English syntax). Could you recommend a website, or a book? > >Thank you. > >Best wishes, > >桑甜