Roger

I am guessing that you are referring to the use limitation put on ‘purchased’ / ’perpetually owned’ e-books by some aggregators/suppliers. Typically a figure of around 450 uses is applied (except in the infamous case of Harper Collins where the number was 26) – this means that you ‘own’ the book for 450 uses, and if you think your users will need more accesses in any one year, you are supposed to buy two copies. If your usage reaches the magic figure, you will loose the book from your collection – possibly at a critical point for users or at a point when you have no spare budget to purchase an additional copy.

I have always ridiculed this use of language – ‘purchased’ / ‘owned’. How can this be ownership when the library does and can not control what is going on with the title? It is ‘owned’ only in so far as the book will always be in the library’s collection… even if it may be unavailable/invisible for half of every year. This is a half-way house sitting somewhere between subscription and ownership (and probably closer to the former!).

Publishers and aggregators working with libraries really need to come to terms with two issues:

1. e-Books are no different from books except in the medium used to convey the content

To say otherwise is no different to saying that books printed on coloured paper cannot be loaned out by a library! DRM can surely be used to limit the length of the e-book loan and to prevent copying between devices – in essence the publisher will have more control than it has over a printed book that can be photocopied endlessly (if illegally).

2. Libraries exist around the concept of lending books and guaranteeing availability of books

Publishers and libraries really need to work together to resolve the ways that e-books can be purchased and used by libraries. Over at LIS-E-BOOKS public librarians are discussing the setting up of an e-books group under the banner of the SCL Digital Group and the first proposed agenda item is to look at e-book lending service models.

Perhaps academic librarians need a similar debate.

Chris

Chris Armstrong
Information Automation Limited
t. (+44) 1974 251302

s. chrisatial (Skype, pre-arranged)
e. [log in to unmask]
w. www.i-a-l.co.uk
b: http://i-a-l.blogspot.com/

Registered address: Penbryn, Bronant, Aberystwyth SY23 4TJ

Registered in England Number: 2110002