On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 7:02 PM, Rick Anderson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>This information comes courtesy of the IFLA copyright programme.=20
>>Are Princeton's essentially the same terms/conditions as the=20
>>Harvard Mandate?
>
> It looks like this is indeed just another non-mandatory=20
> "mandate." The language about each faculty member automatically=20
> granting Princeton a non-exclusive license to "exercise any and=20
> all copyrights in his or her scholarly articles published in any=20
> medium," etc., is then followed by this important qualifier:=20
> "Upon the express direction of a Faculty member, the Provost or=20
> the Provost=B9s designate will waive or suspend application of this=20
> license for a particular article authored or co-authored by that=20
> Faculty member."
>
> So in other words, it's not an OA mandate, but rather an OA=20
> "mandate." You're bound by it unless you ask not to be, in which=20
> case you're not.

1. First, congratulations to Princeton University (my graduate alma
mater!) for adopting an open access mandate: a copyright-reservation
policy, adopted by unanimous faculty vote.
http://roarmap.eprints.org/520/

2. Princeton is following in the footsteps of Harvard in adopting the
copyright-reservation policy pioneered by Stuart Shieber and Peter
Suber. http://roarmap.eprints.org/75/

4. I hope that Princeton will now also follow in the footsteps of
Harvard by adding an immediate-deposit requirement with no waiver
option to its copyright-reservation mandate, as Harvard has done.
http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/545-guid.html

5. The Princeton copyright-reservation policy, like the Harvard
copyright-reservation policy, can be waived if the author wishes: This
is to allow authors to retain the freedom to choose where to publish,
even if the journal does not agree to the copyright-reservation.

6. Adding an immediate-deposit clause, with no opt-out waiver option,
retains all the properties and benefits of the copyright-reservation
policy while ensuring that all articles are nevertheless deposited in
the institutional repository upon publication, with no exceptions:
Access to the deposited article can be embargoed, but deposit itself
cannot; access is a copyright matter, deposit is not.
http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/364-guid.html

7. Depositing all articles upon publication, without exception, is
crucial to reaching 100% open access with certainty, and as soon as
possible; hence it is the right example to set for the many other
universities worldwide that are now contemplating emulating Harvard
and Princeton by adopting open access policies of their own; copyright
reservation alone, with opt-out, is not.
http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/494-guid.html

8. The reason it is imperative that the deposit clause must be
immediate and without a waiver option is that, without that, both when
and whether articles are deposited at all is indeterminate: With the
added deposit requirement the policy is a mandate; without it, it is
just a gentleman/scholar's agreement.

[Footnote: Princeton's open access policy is also unusual in having
been adopted before Princeton has created an open access repository
for its authors to deposit in: It might be a good idea to create the
repository as soon as possible so Princeton authors can get into the
habit of practising what they pledge from the outset...]

Stevan Harnad
EnablingOpenScholarship
http://www.openscholarship.org/