Dear colleagues,
a year ago our late colleague Professor Frank Shaw sent out the message below, 'Threatened dismissal of Dr Anne Simon'. Many of you responded and I assume you are interested in an update. Professor Shaw's e-mail ends with the words: 'I think there is a case for making the ‘powers that be’ rethink their decision. German in Bristol cannot afford to lose anybody (staff-numbers have already been reduced to four – it was eleven when I was appointed), least of all Anne Simon.'

Since October 2010 Bristol has received numerous letters and calls from colleagues all across the globe and from Dr Simon's past and current students trying to make the 'powers that be' rethink their decision. However, I am sad to inform you that as of the end of the academic session 2010/11 Dr Anne Simon is not employed by The University of Bristol any more. Dr Simon herself is not in a position to comment but to me the fact speaks volumes that this summer she has been awarded the Student Union Award for Outstanding Contribution by a Member of Staff with a phenomenal number of nominations fro students to honour her comittment to teaching and research which I know she would have continued to show in the years to come. A great loss not just for Bristol where students clearly feel the loss of a dedicated teacher but for German Studies and Germanistik.
I hope you will join me in wishing Dr Simon all the best for her future and the energy and support to continue the research she thrieves on and does so brilliantly ... despite it all.

Dr Heike Bartel
Associate Professor of German
Dept. of German Studies
University of Nottingham