Hi Colin and all

I think it is a good idea to think about how to make best use of the enormous richness of data carried across the GEM list.   The thing is, _when_ a message was sent, _who_ by and in response to _what_ are intrinsic to the value of the message.    For example, Twitter tips are sent out every so often on this and other email lists.    Each time this type of question is asked, the response will be different, partly because different people respond - and they may be working on different projects at the time, etc – and partly because the context will have changed.

To take a similar example if you had asked a question about using Facebook to engage with audiences a couple of years ago, people might have been suggesting setting up groups.   Later the advice changed to using fan pages.  If you ask the same question again in 6 months’ time, the answers may well suggest avoiding Facebook altogether (in light of their recent appropriation of personal data) and so on.

This is the problem with collating responses as a document.    First, you lose the threaded conversation aspects (who, when, what, etc as above).  Second, if people download a document from the GEM website, they might expect it to be comprehensive, or at least to offer a balanced set of viewpoints – neither of which can be achieved easily without substantial additional research, writing and editing.   And even then it will quickly become out of date anyway.

All GEM list email conversations going back several years are available 24 hours a day at:

www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/gem.html

If you search for “twitter tips” you get this, showing that the topic has had 5 messages in 2  conversations (threads) from August 2011 to now.   Each thread will result in a different ‘take’ on the subject.

JISCMAIL.AC.UK (5 Matches)

Item #

Date

Time

Lines

Subject

List Name

016722

2011-10-05

14:02

1148

Re: Sharing Information

GEM

016721

2011-10-05

13:34

638

Re: Sharing Information

GEM

016720

2011-10-05

13:29

692

Sharing Information

GEM

016419

2011-08-02

09:21

130

Re: Twitter tips

GEM

016418

2011-08-01

21:45

72

Twitter tips

GEM

I know that as part of its review, which has just got underway, GEM is going to be looking at how to optimise information sharing, so hopefully this issue can be looked at in more detail.

There are some topics which are reasonably stable, for which it might be appropriate to produce fact sheets.    Conservation techniques?  Working with freelancers and consultants?  Writing risk assessments?    Etc

Of course, for all I know there might be enormous ructions going on in these fields – in which case hopefully another GEM member can highlight the ongoing issues being debated.

It is also possible of course to produce guidance on topics that are rapidly changing and/or subject to markedly differing viewpoints, and presented as a (hopefully balanced) snapshot.

Both of the above types of information could be made available either as downloads or browsable, searchable web content, or both.

The point I am trying to make is that simply copying and pasting messages into a document is more time consuming than it needs to be (because the information is already available online at www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/gem.html) and indeed can end up misleading people who do not know the field.

(And Colin, I think the overall suggestion of sharing tips and ideas is a really good one! )

Best wishes

Martin

Martin Bazley

Online experience consultant