Rolf,

I don't know if this will help you or not, but I get great tissue segmented masks for grey, white, csf using SPM-8, just using the Segment feature. This feature is easy to use: just feed your T1 image into the GUI and out comes the 3 segmented maps.   I'm using the grey matter mask inside FAST and it seems to be working with my resting state data in that it cuts back on the noise sources found outside grey.

Thanks for your help earlier,
Varina

From: FSL - FMRIB's Software Library [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Rolf A. Heckemann [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Sunday, October 02, 2011 4:00 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [FSL] FAST bug

I still haven't found a solution for the issue of fast not working as
expected, so I'm reposting this:

I am trying to obtain a two-class tissue segmentation of the brain
matter of an image.  I have a bias-corrected full image (full.nii) and
a mask for the brain portion (excluding CSF, mask.nii).  So I do

  fslmaths full -mas mask masked
  fast -n 2 -g -N masked

I get a grey matter probability map in masked_pve_0 as expected.  But
the white matter portion, masked_pve_1, is a float-type image with
only two values, 0 and 1.  I would have expected masked_pve_1 to
contain intermediate values, just as masked_pve_0 does.

I would much appreciate your help.

Regards

Rolf

--