From: Stephen Smith [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 7:05 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [FSL] using mean FA as a confound regressor in TBSS / setting up a paired-design with this confound regressor

Hi - technically this seems OK - you just have to very carefully change how you interpret the results from doing this......
Cheers.

On 11 Oct 2011, at 19:15, Diederick Stoffers wrote:

Hi all,

I am analyzing dti data from a group of subjects using tbss and want to use a paired design; I set up regressors to model the means within each pair. From my initial analysis it is obvious that mean FA is much higher in one of the groups of scans relative to the other group in the paired design. Two questions;

1. Does it make sense in TBSS to use the mean FA within the skeleton as a "confound" regressor (analogous to using native GM volume in a VBM analysis?). If so, how should I interpret differences between the analysis with and without mean FA as a regressor?
2. If I were to use mean FA as a confound regressor, should I first demean over the whole group and subsequently within pairs before I copy it into my matrix?

Cheers

Diederick

+44 (0) 1865 222726  (fax 222717)
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>    http://www.fmrib.ox.ac.uk/~steve