From: FSL - FMRIB's Software Library [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Stephen Smith [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Sunday, October 16, 2011 2:03 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [FSL] FEAT: High Pass Filtering

The longer you make the highpass setting the *less* it will remove - so if you want to get more aggressive, you need to *reduce* the setting.

On 15 Oct 2011, at 19:00, Varina Wolf wrote:

Hello FSL Experts,

I am using FEAT to pre-process (with ICA denoising) prior to MELODIC on a resting state individual analysis prior to group analysis..

I have one patient who had particularly noisy data, and in an effort to filter out more of the noise, I did several runs with incrementally higher values of the High Pass Filter (s) - 100, 250, 500, 750, 1000, 3000, 6750, 9000.

The outcome showed improving noise removal with fewer and less noisy components after ICA in FEAT.  But no difference past 6750 s.

- I note an output document stating the cap on the filter is 1000, yet the results improved past this value.  Why?
- How does the  Temporal Filtering High Pass effect this?
- After FEAT, do I need to put the same time cut off for Melodic?
- I suppose I need to use the same High Pass Filter for all of my data to have uniform group analysis later?

Best regards,
Varina

Associate Director,  Oxford University FMRIB Centre

FMRIB, JR Hospital, Headington, Oxford  OX3 9DU, UK
+44 (0) 1865 222726  (fax 222717)
[log in to unmask]    http://www.fmrib.ox.ac.uk/~steve