Try this:

In X11 click X11->Preferences and click the check box next to "Emulate 3 button mouse".  Voila, command+left click =  middle mouse button click.   Highlight the design you'd like to paste and copy it (the regular way), then click in the paste window, clear what is there and command+left click in the window.  Just be sure not to accidentally highlight anything based in X11 on your way to the paste since this automatically copies whatever you highlighted into the clipboard.

I think most heavy users of unix/linux probably have 3 button mice, so it isn't an issue.

Hope that helps!
Jeanette