Freddy’s email prompts me to ask: does anyone know of any publicly financed systems that use reinsurance?

Thanks

Sarah

From: The European Health Policy Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Friedhelm Schnitzler
Sent: 01 October 2011 00:01
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Ireland is in breach of its EU obligations by exempting VHI Healthcare from being regulated by the Central Bank.

Good points Brian. Some comments:

  • If a market company fails in having sufficient solvency capital, shareholders have to bring in the necessary capital. If I understand it right, VHI, a market operating company,  is government owned thus, the government as "shareholder" has to bring in capital. We also her to consider that VHI operated based on government set out guidelines under government control. If the company is now in trouble based on that "old burden" at least for that part of the portfolio the government has to take responsibility, other market participants would not have a right to complain for that.
  • For the point of raising premium let me comment that also here each company has to charge risk adequate premium. If VHI reflects a higher risk group, probably driven by over representation of elder people, then the group has to bring up these premium.
  • Splitting the company is for sure no reason on macro level, splitting a loss  does on macro level not reduce the problem and splitting the portfolio will lead to splitting the solidarity of high risk and low risk within the portfolio, would be a very unsocial solution
  • Risk equalization will be a difficult solution as the small size player will, due to limited volume, not be able to subsidize the huge VHI portfolio.
  • I think the premium inflation reflects mainly three trends, the aging of the VHI population in terms of average age in the portfolio, plus the "worldwide" explosion of pricing for medical treatment, capital requirements due to solvency regulation (with Solvency II it can be assumed that that will lead to additional capital increase and ultimately premium increase.

Let me raise a forth option: Try to get reinsurance companies in, this can to a wide extend limit necessary capital injections as the solvency capital of the reinsurer can be used , plus reinsurer would have skills to come up with measures to stabilize the portfolio.

Greetings from South Korea

Freddy

Let me take opportunity to inform the group about my new assignment: This August I joined Samsung and am located  in Seoul. I am heading a new set up R&D Center which has focus on further development of health insurance and long term care.

Hope to keep in touch

Cheers

Freddy