Thanks for all the suggestions for this query. Some suggestions were
sent directly to me rather than to the list, so for info it looks like
the student and her tutor might want to try the following methods of
screen sharing:-

Free - https://join.me/
Free for non-commercial use - http://www.teamviewer.com/
Free
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Set-up-a-computer-to-computer-ad-hoc-network

All these require both the student and her tutors laptop to be connected
to the internet.

Paid (still requires network connection)

http://www.realvnc.com

Finally - no network required solutions -

No suggestions yet...

Best wishes
Ian Francis