Hello John,
A couple of points that you made referencing my original posting require a response.
First of all it wasn't an outburst as such. More a call to attract the attention of the crisis forum who for some time now seemed to be quietly moving along in one direction only and yet I had never come across any concerns about the potential impact of a mistake in applying one of these solution ideas. Yes I do think they are very madcap to be honest. But then that is my opinion.

In answer to some of the points raised I offer first two links:

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-10-global-2c-nations.html

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-10-global-2c-nations.html

Now I have only just come across these articles today but in no way does it imply that I don't appreciate the dangers we are facing. I feel they do offer some other information which you may or may not have been aware of previously. For a long time now there has been a steady stream of science papers that have generally contradicted previous thinking or added completely new interpretations on something previously not under the microscope.
However to suggest that we will face a cataclysmic demise from methane hydrate when the same sort of event has seemingly happened before would be a bit premature. I would hasten to add that there is still a lot we don't even begin to partially understand let alone fully understand.

I also wish to point out that I was not suggesting that the geoengineers were simply conducting these experiments/trials or whatever so that the corporations could continue business as usual but that the corporations would seize upon the opportunity to cite work done (if it was successful) to justify their continued polluting. Now to my mind that is how they work and I did not suggest that you and your fellow engineers were working for the corporations. Quite the opposite actually.

Please don't misunderstand me because I can see the theoretical basis for the experiments you talk about but to be honest I am not burying my head in the sand either by refusing to applaud your efforts loudly and sing their praises. I am reluctant to advocate for this form of repair work because of the untried and untested nature of the 'solutions' that have been put forward (so far).

Here is something that you can all consider for a while. Has anyone actually calculated the impact of say ocean seeding if more than one nation suddenly embarks on this method without the knowledge of the other participants? After all if too much of one method is used there will be an exceptional reaction that will upset whatever ecosystem existed at that time and in that location. The same applies to the atmosphere and if the rumours are to be believed then chem trails are a form of climate control which has been going on for years. How will extra impacts of this sort be controlled to avoid a complete reversal of atmospheric conditions? Has anyone set up a register of potential conflicts here?

There is also another aspect that I have not heard mentioned on here and that is physical geoengineering solutions. As you state there is no point in trying to mitigate for the temperature rise with reductions of emissions because the effects of climate change will be around for a century at least even if we stop emitting carbon pollutants totally.
However there is a very reasonable case for reforestation on a grand scale and a reversion of agriculture to a sustainable level without going back to the caves or forgoing our comforts entirely as these two issues do create a lot of carbon pollution from deforestation and chemical agriculture. Whilst forests are growing they absorb carbon compounds. So if we stop emitting carbon and at the same time plant loads of trees and other carbon absorbing vegetation (physical geoengineering), then we will make a rapid dent in the levels in the atmosphere.
Yet to try to combat climate change by simply spraying a chemical into the atmosphere or onto the land or oceans (a chemical derived most probably from some mineral mining process and processed in some factory all of which adds to the carbon burden) is like sending one cheese down the hill to catch the previous one that rolled down the hill. Or as I told my contact at Skeptical Science 'Its like prescribing a pill to combat the adverse side effects of one pill that was itself prescribed to combat the different side effects of a previously prescribed pill.' Where will it all end? I fear that the entire plan is not exactly robust enough to surmise that one size solution will fit all. Yes I know you never implied that but there have been a lot of individuals elsewhere who seem to advocate for the geoengineered approach as if it is the silver bullet when it clearly is not.
To even suggest we try regardless because we have no other options is why I believe we will be committing ourselves to an early grave. There are alternative options that don't involve upskittling the atmosphere, which is currently destabilised enough already.

Now you suggest that all the solutions are based on natural phenomena and this is a bit of a vague statement. I for one do not think we have sufficient knowledge or understanding to start messing around with nature anymore than we already have. Judging by the way the human race has slaughtered all the top predators and destroyed a massive number of habitats is evident to all.
The only natural solution I could think of is something like seeding the oceans to encourage plankton which I have seen mentioned elsewhere. If this is one of those solutions there is a problem that needs to be taken seriously into account. A recent scientific paper found that ecosystems were becoming more imbalanced and declining after the top predators were removed by human predations. This imbalance led to the decline in ecosystem health and ultimately the demise of food structures and habitat degradation and destruction as lower predators populations exploded and put pressure on the ecosystem that it was unable to cope with.
Now that may seem like an irrelevance to the engineers here but in reality the process of plankton creation to absorb carbon (CO2) would need a secondary predator to eat the plankton as rapidly as it is being created to take in that carbon absorbed by the plankton before the plankton died on the surface and became a renewed emission by decomposition (CH4).
Then you need the next predator above the first one and then the next above that and so on, or eventually the ecosystem (in this case the ocean environment) would become totally imbalanced and the current absorption systems and recycling systems would become imbalanced and this would then impact on the climate cycles which would become further disrupted. Its like one unfathomable global game of 'Kerplunk' (The kids game with straws and marbles. Pull out the wrong straw and the lot falls which we have been doing for centuries by destroying species and habitats and ecosystems. Each straw represents a system or species or habitat. The marbles the climatic impacts. But if the system is in balance then all the straws are in place and all the marbles are also held in place by the straws.)
I may sound like an amateur here but believe me I am actually a scientist in my spare time (but not a geoengineer). I study ecosystems, habitats, species migration (plants) and agricultural pollution. I also get involved with human rights issues with regards food sustainability and pollutant impacts, climate issues and land issues.
Deforestation and palm oil are two big climate destroyers that are interlinked in Far East Asia and you will no doubt have heard a lot about this issue.
I have also recently been involved with two friends of mine with the drafting of 2 UN proposals. One was the promotion of sustainable agriculture around the planet and the other was to remove as many of the suspected causes of CCD to allow the bee populations to increase again. The two would have a positive impact on climatic emissions of carbon pollutants in many ways not clearly obvious at first reading.

I will leave it at that for now.

Regards
Kev C
PS If I have not addressed all the points made it is because of lack of time at this particular moment. I may well return to the remainder of the points if someone requires a response.