Alex,

This issue is precisely one of the burning topics which has led to the EIC/CL:AIRE/BOHS conference on asbestos in soil.

According to my understanding, having discussed the matter with a number of laboratories and consultants, as well as UKAS and the HSE, even if a laboratory is conducting basic screening analysis for "asbestos", UKAS accreditation for identification of asbestos is mandatory as prescribed by Reg. 21 of the Control of Asbestos Regulations 2006:

21(1) Every employer who analyses a sample of any material to determine whether it contains asbestos shall ensure that he meets criteria equivalent to those set out in the paragraphs of ISO 17025 which cover organisation, quality systems, control of records, personnel, accommodation and environmental conditions, test and calibration methods, method validation, equipment, handling of test and calibration items, and reporting results.

(2) Every employer who requests a person to analyse a sample of any material taken to determine whether it contains asbestos shall ensure that that person is accredited by an appropriate body as competent to perform work in compliance with ISO 17025.

Not only that, but by Reg. 21(2), if you are sending samples to a laboratory for identification of asbestos you must ensure that the laboratory has the appropriate accreditation.

Notwithstanding this, UKAS, it seem, have taken a position that if you are undertaking the analysis for asbestos in soil, you must consider fragments of asbestos-containing materials, ACM's, as well as free dispersed fibres, i.e mass quantification.  The rationale here is that harder to determine fibres will undoubtedly pose a greater/more significant risk than small pieces of ACM, therefore they must be assessed if any robust decision is taken regarding hazard and risk, both from a waste management and a human health risk assessment perspective.

>0.1% contamination by ACM's (above hazardous waste threshold) may in fact be more hazardous, and therefore more of a risk, than 0.001% contamination by free fibres...

From the work that the EIC's Asbestos Working Group has done, we do know that a significant proportion of samples that are submitted to laboratories for soils analysis, and that are not scheduled for asbestos analysis, have been found to contain (unacceptable) levels of ACM and/or free asbestos fibre contamination.

The question arises, therefore, why are such contaminated samples being taken and submitted for environmental analysis without being scheduled for asbestos analysis in the first place?

Regards

Steve Forster B.Sc. M.Sc. CEnv. FGS MIEnvSc
Managing Director
IEG Technologies UK Ltd
Unit 12 Langley Wharf
Railway Terrace
Kings Langley
Hertfordshire
WD4 8JE

Mobile +44 (0) 7855 957140

My status
Get Skype and call me for free.

This email and any attachments to it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the person to whom they are addressed. If you are not the addressee you shall not use, disclose, disseminate, distribute or copy, nor take any action in reliance on the contents of, this email or any attachments to it. Please notify the sender immediately by email or telephone if you have received this email by mistake, and delete this email from your system.

Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of IEG or any of its subsidiary companies, which will accept no liability for the content of this email, nor the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided. Neither do we accept any responsibility or liability for changes made to this message nor any files attached to it after it was sent nor any loss or damage arising from its receipt or use.

Officers and employees of IEG and its subsidiary companies are expressly required not to make defamatory statements and not to infringe nor authorise any infringement of copyright or any other legal right by email communications. Any such communication is contrary to our policy and outside the scope of the employment of the individual concerned.

WARNING: Although we have taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email or any files attached to it, IEG and its subsidiary companies do not accept any responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or its attachments.

Registered in England Number 5419864. Suite L, Radford Business Centre, Radford Way, Billericay, Essex, CM12 0BZ.  VAT 864 5448 92.