Dear CSG members,

This is to remind you that Liam Paterson, Assistant Curator of the Scottish Screen Archive, will be speaking on Wednesday, 2nd November on The Colour of Memories / The Colours of Memory (see below for a synopsis).

Please feel free to pin the attached poster to any appropriate notice board, remembering that the meeting is open to members and non-members of the Group alike.

As usual the talk will take place in Room 1 (the front room) at 12 University Gardens. Refreshments will be available in the foyer (free of charge) from 4.45 p.m., and the talk will begin at about 5.10 p.m.

Synopsis:

Our visualisation and perception of the ‘reality’ of periods in the past is often filtered through the film technologies of the time. The 1930s is the pivotal decade in terms of moving images, when Kodachrome film became commercially available mid-decade, and the perception of the world very gradually started to move from monochrome to colour. Every so often I am struck by a new film from this period coming into the Archive, usually shot on Kodachrome and well filmed, which looks much more ‘real’ than most because of its colour quality. These thoughts and impressions will be illustrated with a selection of films and clips.

Dr C P Biggam, FSA
English Language
School of Critical Studies
University of Glasgow