Am 20:59, schrieb Jrh:
> So:-  Universities are now establishing their own institutional
> repositories, driven largely by Open Access demands of funders. For
> these to host raw datasets that underpin publications is a reasonable
> role in my view and indeed they already have this category in the
> University of Manchester eScholar system, for example.  I am set to
> explore locally here whether they would accommodate all our Lab's raw
> Xray images datasets per annum that underpin our published crystal
> structures.
>
> It would be helpful if readers of this CCP4bb could kindly also
> explore with their own universities if they have such an
> institutional repository and if raw data sets could be accommodated.
> Please do email me off list with this information if you prefer but
> within the CCP4bb is also good.

Dear John,

I'm pretty sure that there exists no consistent policy to provide an
"institutional repository" for deposition of scientific data at German
universities or Max-Planck institutes or Helmholtz institutions, at
least I never heard of something like this. More specifically, our
University of Konstanz certainly does not have the infrastructure to
provide this.

I don't think that Germany is the only country which is the exception to
any rule of availability of "institutional repository" . Rather, I'm
almost amazed that British and American institutions seem to support this.

Thus I suggest to not focus exclusively on official institutional
repositories, but to explore alternatives: distributed filestores like
Google's BigTable, Bittorrent or others might be just as suitable -
check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed_data_store. I guess
that any crystallographic lab could easily sacrifice/donate a TB of
storage for the purposes of this project in 2011 (and maybe 2 TB in
2012, 3 in 2013, ...), but clearly the level of work to set this up
should be kept as low as possible (a bittorrent daemon seems simple enough).

Just my 2 cents,

Kay