Hi Anasuya,

at least, Gerard Kleywegt's program "moleman2" from the Uppsala Software
Factory <http://xray.bmc.uu.se/usf/> has a command "XYz
ALign_inertia_axes" should do your first task.
 From the moleman2 manual: "This will move the currently selected atoms
such that their centre-of-gravity is at the origin (0,0,0); then it will
calculate the three principal inertia axes, and align the selected atoms
such that these axes coincide with the X, Y and Z axis. This alignment
is done such that the major inertia axis coincides with the X-axis
(largest eigenvalue), and the minor inertia axis coincides with the
Z-axis (smallest eigenvalue)."

Best regards,

Dirk.

Am 27.10.11 14:17, schrieb Anasuya Dighe:
> how do i put a protein molecule inside a cube with x-axis spanning till the
> largest x-coordinate, y-axis spanning till the largest y-coordinate, and z-axis
> spanning till the largest z-coordinate?
>
> Once i do this, can i divide the larger cube(i.e. the one holding the entire
> protein) into smaller ones of lesser dimensions? Say, 5A x 5A x 5A?
>
> Once i generate these smaller cubes, is there a way via pymol, by which i can
> navigate through the protein molecule, (smaller)cube by (smaller)cube?
> As in, can pymol be used to tell me which residues are lying in which (smaller)
> cube and so on?
>
> Can all this be done in a single pymol window/script?
> please let me know.
>
> Thanks
> -Anasuya

Dirk Kostrewa