Dear all,

A postdoc position is available in Stephen Curry’s lab at Imperial College London.

See: http://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/ADK187/research-associate/

Peter

Research Associate
Imperial College London - Division of Cell & Molecular Biology, Faculty of Natural Sciences

Salary: £31,300 - £39,920 per annum

A Research Associate post is available to join Prof Stephen Curry's research group on the structural biology of enzymes from RNA viruses, within the Division of Cell & Molecular Biology. The position is based at the South Kensington Campus of Imperial College London.

Our recent work has established new breakthroughs in the structural and functional analyses of proteases, polymerases and helicases from picornaviruses and caliciviruses (see http://www.bio.ph.ic.ac.uk/~scurry/ for publications. We are now looking to take this work forward in exciting new directions.

The post will involve taking on the role of lead researcher on a project to investigate structural and functional aspects of enzymes from RNA viruses. The project is of a highly multi-disciplinary nature and will likely involve protein structure determination by protein crystallography and NMR (the latter in collaboration with Prof Matthews' group).

The successful candidate should have or be about to receive a PhD degree in a relevant subject, preferably structure determination by protein crystallography, or have equivalent level of professional qualifications and experience. Previous experience of working in a structural biology research environment and knowledge and experience of X-ray data collection at synchrotron sources, structure determination of macromolecules by X-ray crystallography, cloning, over-expression and purification of proteins and preparation and handling of recombinant proteins are essential.

A good understanding of protein over-expression in E. coli (with and without minimal media), and requirements of sample preparation for NMR methods are desirable. Use of the Linux operating system, and data processing with the CCP4 package, CNS or Phenix refinement and model building in O/coot would be also an advantage.

You must have demonstrable ability to learn new techniques, to work independently and with imagination.

This is a fixed term position available immediately for up to 3 years.

Our preferred method of application is online via our website http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/employment (please select "Job Search" then enter the job title or vacancy reference number including spaces NS 2011 200 DPN into "Keywords"). Please complete and upload an application form as directed, attaching a curriculum vitae, a cover letter and the name and contact details of two referees.  For informal enquiries please contact Dr Stephen Curry via email [log in to unmask]

Alternatively, if you are unable to apply online, please contact Hafiza Bibi by email [log in to unmask] to request an application form.

Closing date: 2 November 2011

Committed to equality and valuing diversity. We are also an Athena Bronze SWAN Award winner, a Stonewall Diversity Champion and a Stonewall Top 100