Hi community,

I have been waiting for someone more knowledgeable to write about the
passing away of Dennis Ritchie (8 October) especially after the recent
obituaries posted in the list. I confess I know little about him, except:

1/ He created the C language ( and together with Brian Kernighan wrote
an extremely useful book about it )
2/ He and Ken Thompson were key in the development of something called
UNIX...

Undoubtedly, he made an impact in our field.

--
Miguel

Architecture et Fonction des Macromolécules Biologiques (UMR6098)
CNRS, Universités d'Aix-Marseille I & II
Case 932, 163 Avenue de Luminy, 13288 Marseille cedex 9, France
Tel: +33(0) 491 82 55 93
Fax: +33(0) 491 26 67 20
mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://www.afmb.univ-mrs.fr/Miguel-Ortiz-Lombardia