An excellent review of this subject was published not long ago:

http://dx.doi.org/10.1107/S0907444905032130

It is even open access!

But, in general the "trick" to improving diffraction is to get your
molecules clean, get them to all adopt the same conformation, and then
sit still.  Adding a column (even if you think your prep is clean) can
help, as can fractional recrystallization.  Not many people know this,
but even the much maligned hen egg white lysozyme doesn't diffract very
well if the prep is contaminated with "lysozyme dimers", which is why
commercial lysozyme is purified by fractional recrystallization.  There
is a heat-shock treatment described in the above paper, and of course
additive screens.  The reason why additive screens work seems to be
because if you can get something to stick to the protein, it is more
likely to sit still.

-James Holton
MAD Scientist