From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">GOODBY JOHN
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Saturday, October 08, 2011 11:56 AM
Subject: Re: Forward for RFL

I agree with Jamie, it is an eccentric judgement - as if desperate to prove that no poem that contains apple blossom and an 'English lane' could possibly be any good. I know my Molesworth, but the the Song of the Chiffchaff has nothing to do with the RFL poem. As for Andrew Motion, I recall poems of his about walking around New York City from the early 1980s - he's not as hung up on Georgian ruralism as Michael seems to believe, whatever you think about how good those poems are. It seems rather naive to damn a poem by theme - at odds with the formal issues the people on this list generally think are important.

Can't there be poems which appeal to 'mainstream' and 'alternative' poetry readerships? Isn't this one of them? Shouldn't we welcome that as a special kind of achievement?

I don't get the rather sniffy citation of Nabokov's lepidopterist skills as proof that you can know about moths and be mainstream, either. Last time I looked Nabokov was a fairly 'avant garde' novelist, a precursor of postmodernism. A better precursor might be Guido Gozzano, the Italian crepusculario poet, who had a deep interest in lepidoptera and used the technical terms in the sequence 'Le farfalle'. He uses regular metre and rhyme and plain language, but then it's in the context of d'Annunzio-drenched Italian poetry, so it was a pretty radical thing to do too. Which is to say, a lot of this is about context.

Best,

John