I know full well what chattel slavery was (I trust you have all  read my book, After Abolition.)  However, most people don’t, and we seldom talk about the enslaved Africans as anything but ‘slaves’. The impression most people have is that it is only Africans who were ever slaves; and that slavery was indigenous to Africa in any case.  So it is  very important for people to learn that there were / are many forms of slavery.

I agree, however, that the forms of slavery imposed upon Africans in the Americas by Europeans calling themselves Christian was probably unique.

From: The Black and Asian Studies Association [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of HARROW bhm
Sent: 07 October 2011 12:28
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Inaugural Anti-Slavery Day Young People's Conference

In answer to Marika's query, conditions of peasants throughout Europe differed significantly from that of enslaved persons under chattel slavery,

Crucially, chattel slavery meant that enslaved persons were chattel or property without any human rights whatsoever. The 'owner' could openly murder, torture, or rape them without fearing any sanctions. In my view, there is no comparison.

.