Angela is correct: though the 'first publication date' in my paperback is 1968, the British Library catalogue says 1953.

-----Original Message-----
From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 05 October 2011 20:16
To: The Black and Asian Studies Association
Cc: Marika Sherwood
Subject: Re: Catherine Cookson's Colour Blind novel

1968?
I thought it was first published in 1953.

Compare Shelagh Delaney's 1956 'A Taste of Honey", set in 1950s Salford, and later made into a 1960s film starring Rita Tushingham

--Angela Allison, Coventry UK

"I know the one thing we did right,
was the day we started to fight.
Keep your eyes on the prize, Hold on!"