Hi Peter
A couple of questions more!
- What Mac have you got exactly Peter?
- Have you bought Dragon Dictate already for the Mac (or MacSpeech as it was)? Did you have any success with the built-in speech recognition engine?
- When you mean the telephone/speakerphone adapters do you mean a USB to 6P6C (RJ11) that you can now use with softphones  or do you mean doing it the old terminal way - sticking in a modem cable and dialling using something like hyperterminal?

In short though I would look at Phone Amego: http://www.sustworks.com/pa_guide/index.html

You may struggle to get this to work with Dragon though. I'm not sure what API's it opens up.
If so you can look at rolling something yourself:
- Get a modem - (NB: The Apple USB modem, although just about available won't work on 64 bit OS's (e.g. Lion) - so stay clear) look at this list for an idea http://www.sustworks.com/pa_guide/compatibleModems.html
- Now to do the calling - you just need to create an address book plug-in:
http://hintsforums.macworld.com/showpost.php?p=317719&postcount=10

On 24 Oct 2011, at 14:41, Peter Hamlin wrote:

> While hands-free telephones/speakerphone adapters that connect to Microsoft Windows computers are available which enable a PC, with voice recognition software installed, to control an analogue telephone line - I seem to be unable to locate an equivalent adapter for an Apple Mac computer.
>
> Has anyone on ASSISTECH managed to get Dragon Dictate (2) for an Apple Mac computer (Mac OS 10.6) to control a hands-free telephone or speaker’phone connected to a analogue (POTS or PSTN) telephone line?
>
> If so then what devices were used?
>
> The configuration should allow a user to initiate a telephone call, hold a conversation and then end a telephone call – using voice recognition only (on a Mac computer).
>
> If a suitable POTS or PSTN adapter is not available for the Apple Mac computers then I presume the alternative is to explore the VoIP/IP telephony (IPT) “soft’phone” route?

Will Wade
Lead Occupational Therapist
Kent Communication & Assistive Technology Service

The Old Railway School
Wainwright Place
Newtown
Ashford
Kent  TN24 0PF

Tel:      01233 629859
Mob:      07968 050808
Fax:     01233 639516

If your email is a request for information made under the terms of the Freedom of Information Act 2000, please forward to: FOI Lead, Kent Community Healthcare Trust, Trinity House, 110-120 Upper Pemberton, Eureka Business Park, Kennington, Ashford, Kent. TN25 4AZ. Telephone: 01233 667940. Email: [log in to unmask]

Thank you for your co-operation.

For more information and to find out how you can switch, visit www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/nhsmail