Finding archives: Review of online archival resources launched

The National Archives is leading the delivery of key actions to deliver the Archives for the 21st Century recommendation to achieve

‘comprehensive online access for archive discovery through catalogues and to digitised archive content by citizens at a time and place that suits them.’

Finding Archives: reviewing online resources

The National Archives is driving forward a wide-ranging review of its online information about the country’s archive collections and their locations.  The Finding Archives review will work with users and contributors to the National Register of Archives, the ARCHON directory and other tools to develop a better understanding of their requirements, how these should look and operate in the future and what technical online solutions are possible to deliver this.

An online survey will ensure that everyone with an interest in the resources has a chance to contribute and a representative sample of stakeholders will be selected for focus groups to explore particular issues in depth.

This piece of work will take place over the next couple of months.  We will continue to update stakeholders throughout.

Architecture, Building and Construction Records Survey

The building and construction sector makes a major contribution to the British economy, yet its history and archives are not well known or understood.  There is a lack of information in the National Register of Archives (NRA) concerning the records produced by nationally important and other leading firms in this field.

The Architecture, Building and Construction Records Survey project has been set up to fill this gap in knowledge. Funded to run for one year, the project is a partnership between The National Archives and the Business Archives Council.  The focus will be on companies whose records have neither been surveyed nor deposited, to establish the nature and location of the records they hold.

The project will support the aims of the National Strategy for Business Archives (England and Wales) and will involve liaison with relevant repositories.  As well as improving awareness of architecture, building and construction records through the NRA, the project will promote best practice in record keeping to ensure the safety of collections at a time of real threat to all categories of business archives.

Places of Deposit survey

Another component of our work to improve the accuracy and usefulness of the data held about collections and collecting organisations is the Places of Deposit survey.

We have been working to add to ARCHON the details of Places of Deposit and descriptions of Public Records are being added on to the National Register of Archives. We are now seeking to verify and augment this data to ensure as complete a picture of the disposition of Public Records as possible, through phased surveys of all places of deposit.

Further information about our role and current work

Our new web page for the sector can be found at www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/archive-leadership.  It contains details of our new role and responsibilities, information, advice and guidance including case studies and details of current project we are undertaking with the sector.  Scroll to the bottom to find the ‘have your say’ links for the consultations outlined here and other upcoming discussions.

Anna Siddall

Transition Manager

020 8876 3444 (x2044)

07818 473 986

The National Archives, Kew, Richmond, Surrey TW9 4DU

nationalarchives.gov.uk

Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.

National Archives Disclaimer

This email message (and attachments) may contain information that is confidential to The National Archives. If you are not the intended recipient you cannot use, distribute or copy the message
or attachments. In such a case, please notify the sender by return email immediately and erase all copies of the message and attachments. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message
and attachments that do not relate to the official business of The National Archives are neither given nor endorsed by it.