Good afternoon,

I’m rewriting our Student Bullying and Harassment Procedure, particularly in relation to student-student cases.

Currently we have a 3 stage approach – personal resolution (challenging an individual yourself and asking them to stop); local resolution (seeking support from a member of staff or the Students Union to challenge an individual’s behaviour); and Formal Complaint (whereupon a written complaint is investigated and feeds into disciplinary procedures if appropriate).

I am now looking to produce some guidance for staff who are approached as part of the local resolution stage, to support them when tackling potentially confrontational, sensitive and emotional issues.  We aren’t asking staff to act as mediators at this stage but rather to perform a role that would be similar to a line manager handling disagreements within a team, but I feel that some support documentation would still be helpful to reassure staff in their approach.

I was wondering if anyone had developed anything similar that they would be willing to share?  I’ve got something in draft but really need to compare it against something as a benchmark!

I’d be happy to share anything in return that is helpful.

Thanks

Annie

Annie Carroll
Equality and Diversity Adviser (Student Experience)
University of Brighton, Student Services
The Manor House, Moulsecoomb Place, Brighton BN2 4GA

Tel 01273 642852
Fax 01273 642850

Student Services (Careers, Counselling, Student Advice and the Disability & Dyslexia Team) at the University of Brighton has achieved the Matrix Quality Standard for Information, Advice and Guidance (IAG)