Hi all,
During the coming year (2012) we will be celebrating 10 years of the Writing PAD Network and 5 years of the Journal of Writing in Creative Practice (JWCP). We will be publishing one volume of JWCP (three issues) in which we would like reviews from anyone in the network who has used the approaches and models that are on our website, or has benefited from i.e. developed new writing programmes or models from workshops we have held in your institution, conferences you may have attended, or articles you may have read in JWCP.

This is your network and we are keen to represent as many institutions as possible in this celebratory volume. Tell us what you have been doing and what has been working!

BTW - we are also looking for book reviews relating to writing in art and design for the same deadlines.

Review Guidelines

A review of Writing-PAD approaches to writing in art and design used within your institution should outline a particular aspect of the writing that you consider may have changed as a direct response to reading or hearing Writing-PAD approaches through the websites, presentations, workshops or JWCP. Your readers will be other members of the art and design community, including courses, such as fashion design, packaging design, media and communication. Your review should be written in such a way that others will be able to benefit from your experience and may be encouraged to transfer Writing-PAD models to their institutions. We would like to encourage the use of visuals, photographs, mind maps, flow charts, etc. but overall it should be written in narrative style, using the following structure where appropriate:

Deadline for reviews:
Volume 5, issue 1: 8th October;
issue 2: 2nd May;
issue 3: 5th September

Word length:
1,500 – 2,000 words

Please reference the case studies being reviewed (currently free to download at http://www.writing-pad.ac.uk/index.php?path=photos/21_Resources/05_Case%20Studies/) or the event or workshop held

Context:

·      Name of course / module / unit

·      Level (e.g. 1st year, MA, etc.)

·      Number of students

·      If applicable: Background of student (international, dyslexic, mature), any relevant background to the student’s output

Guiding questions (these are SUGGESTIONS rather than headings for you to follow!):

Please give an overview of writing at the institution prior to Writing PAD influence

Pedagogy:

Why did you use Writing-PAD approaches within your institution or course?

Did you seek to address a particular pedagogic problem?

If so, how has Writing-PAD help to address this?

Assessment:

Have the use of Writing-PAD approaches meant that the assessment has changed? If so, how?

Relationship to studio:

Has writing been related more successfully to studio through the application of Writing-PAD approaches?

Research:

Has the application of Writing-PAD approaches within your institution addressed the role of research?

Has the Writing-PAD approach helped to address reading materials and how they relate to the type of writing, students are expected to produce?

Teaching & Support:

Has the teaching of writing changed in any way?

How has the use of visuals been embedded into the writing?

Have you noticed differences in how staff approach the teaching of writing?

Evaluation and transferability:

·      Positive benefits / outcomes for learners and teachers

·      Problems encountered / things you might do differently / how have you changed the approach to suit your institution, staff and students

·      To which context could your approach be transferred, e.g. dissertation, writing integrated into studio, levels.