From: Achinger, Christine
Sent: Mon 9/19/2011 06:25
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: In Defence of Public Higher Education

Dear Wiggies,

apologies for cross-posting! Attached is a position paper 'In Defence of Public Higher Education', drawn up by colleagues from different UK universities. The authors are calling for signatories, individuals as well as academic associations, in the first instance by today (Monday 19 September) at 5pm for publication in the Guardian towards the end of the month. I am forwarding the cover email below - in it, the paper is still referred to as a 'draft', but I have been assured that no changes will be made apart from correction of typos.

The paper is substantial, but the first pages provide a useful summary. I think it makes some very important points and I would like to suggest that WIGS as an association should support it as well. Obviously we would be hard pressed to make that decision by this afternoon, but I assume that it will remain open for signatures after the initial publication.

Best wishes,
Christine

Following our request for people to contribute to an 'alternative white paper' from the academic community, we have been reworking the initial 'Visions' document to take into account the various responses and the changing political contexts. We have produced a draft titled, In Defence of Public Higher Education, for which we are now looking for signatories and support - the draft is attached. It would be great if professional associations and other academic groupings were also able to sign in a collective manner - so if you are a member of professional associations etc, can you contact them asking for support for this document.

This document will be launched in The Guardian at the end of this month and will hopefully provide necessary publicity for the continuance of our campaigns in the new academic year. We would also hope that colleagues and students across the country might wish to use this document in local campaigning work. The final document will be available under a creative commons licence.

If you would like to sign this document in support please send an email to: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>  with your name, title, and any institutional or professional affiliation.

The deadline for receipt of signatures is Monday 19th Sept, 5pm - this is to meet the publication deadline for The Guardian.

Please circulate widely!

Best wishes,

To join the Campaign discuss list, click here: http://bit.ly/h7xpcr <https://mywebmail.warwick.ac.uk/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://bit.ly/h7xpcr>

For details on how to launch your own No Confidence motion, please see: http://www.noconfidence.org.uk/ <https://mywebmail.warwick.ac.uk/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.noconfidence.org.uk/>