I think that was mostly a problem of wasted hardware; once you
start looking for proper rack-mount servers you're in for
about a grand and a half just to get running, which is overkill
for a tiny thing like the BDII. You don't have that problem
with VMs.

> so I would assume that we still want to support co-located
> services where possible - or is it now reasonable to expect
> everyone to use VMs?

Frankly I think it is - it's a standard well established feature
of the OS now, so I don't think it's asking too much. However,
what I said in the context of this thread was that "I wouldn't
share nodes between services at all in a virtualized setup";
if you're going to have a VM setup anyway you might as well use
it to the greatest possible effect and use it for everything[1].
If someone were to go for a VM-free site, then it would probably
be silly to dedicate individual hardware to things like the BDII
and cluster publisher, but I think it's now pretty silly to go
for a VM-free site at all.

Ewan

[1] Everything that suits VMs, so maybe not things like DPM
head nodes, squid servers etc. Though if the disk system is
fast enough, maybe even those too.