> In an ANOVA, does anyone know when one should correct for the number
> of post-hoc tests you are doing following the F-test?

The most common approach in ANOVA is to test the set of contrasts with
an F test, and then proceed to examine individual contrasts without
correction. This approach is said to go back to Fisher and relies on
the correction intrinsic in the F test. This is when one has 'a
priori' contrasts.

If you look in ANOVA textbooks, you'll find that several approaches
have been developed for the post-hoc tests, with Scheffe's post-hoc
corresponding to the strong correction type, as would be formulated in
neuroimaging terminology. Complications ensue from using step-down
strategies etc.

I do not see an easy way of adopting the first approach in
neuroimaging, because F tests are not constrained to the same set of
contrasts across the volume. They will correct for any possible
combination of contrasts, but this combination will be free to vary
from voxel to voxel. To me that seems a huge space of combinations to
correct for, resulting in unrealistic requirements on the effect of
interest.

Scheffe's post-hoc is a strong correction, which you can nest within a
strong peak-level correction if you want -- but the same objections
about power may be repeated here.

I believe an argument may be made for the a priori contrasts case and
not worrying about the multiple comparison problem within the ANOVA on
the following  ground (beside the mentioned irrealistic requirements
argument). The origin of the multiple comparison problem in ANOVA and
neuroimaging is of essentially different nature. In neuroimaging
testing, the multiplicity arises in the dependent variables. In ANOVA,
the mutiplicity arises in the independent variables. If you do not
correct and the null is true, you'll be wrong up to close 100% of
times in the former type of multiplicity, but only 5% of times at most
in the latter ('times' refers here to individual tests). As you see,
type I error is bounded by the testing procedure in one case but not
in the other.

I also agree with the view expressed by Stephen Fromm, that most
papers are published even if they do not correct even for the
neuroimaging multiplicity (that does not apply to the papers I submit,
however).

Best wishes,
Roberto Viviani
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy III
University of Ulm, Germany