A belated contribution to this thread:  the introductory chapter to
Rosalie Colie's gorgeous Paradoxica Epidemica:  The Renaissance
Tradition of Paradox offers many touchstones for starting to think
about Renaissance thought and writing, including brief bits on
rhetoric and praise, humanism, Renaissance ideas of Wisdom and
authority, pointed evocations of texts by Paul, Erasmus, Pico,
Montaigne, and Donne.

Ken Gross