Most of these points made quite clearly here today:
http://m.guardian.co.uk/ms/p/gnm/op/sUOm__aQEwWv3R9rBb0-zZQ/view.m?id=15&gid=commentisfree/2011/sep/09/science-graduates-careers&cat=commentisfree

From Sallie Robins' Dell Streak 07733330344

********************************************************************** Further information about the psci-com discussion list, including list archive, can be found at the list web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/psci-com.html You may also change your settings and subscribe/unsubscribe to psci-com from the web site.

Psci-com is part of the National Academic Mailing List Service, known as 'JISCMail'. It adheres to the JISCMail Acceptable Use Policy: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/policyandsecurity/acceptableuse.html and to the JISCMail guidelines for etiquette: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/policyandsecurity/etiquette.html