I like the shift to character, Lawrence, after the narrating eye has seen & said.

at first i thought this was on a new poetic thread just begun, but with that final stanza it fits with other 'portraits' you've given us (does this go back to those modernist ones of Eliot (a lady) & Pound?)

Doug
On 2011-09-09, at 2:55 AM, Lawrence Upton wrote:

> one sees, within painting rectangles,
> awkwardly, awkward sense of responsibility,
> continued in small line drawings charcoals
> in fresh formal gesture, surfaces in turmoil
>
> no one speaks
> 		and then someone says
> bollocks
>
> she looks at them, raising hostility
> bronzing her skin
> carefully painted
> the content of that visible aggression
> unmeant for viewing or interpretation
>

> -----
> UNFRAMED GRAPHICS by Lawrence Upton
> 42 pages; A5 paperback; colour cover
> Writers Forum 978 1 84254 277 4
> wfuk.org.uk/blog
> ----
> Lawrence Upton
> Dept of Music
> Goldsmiths, University of London

Douglas Barbour

http://www.ualberta.ca/~dbarbour/
http://eclecticruckus.wordpress.com/

Latest books:
Continuations (with Sheila E Murphy)
http://www.uap.ualberta.ca/UAP.asp?LID=41&bookID=664
Wednesdays'
http://abovegroundpress.blogspot.com/2008/03/new-from-aboveground-press_10.html

People say they have to express their emotions.
I'm sick of that.  Photography doesn't teach
you to express your emotions;
it teaches you how to see.

            Berenice Abbott