Hi isn't this all a bit political for these refined poets living in their
ivory towers (built on greenbelt land!!) :-)
P-again

-----Original Message-----
From: Poetryetc: poetry and poetics [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Lawrence Upton
Sent: 19 September 2011 16:17
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Verbal clarity

I agree with you, to an extent

Rhetoric was really all that was available to me short of stating what I
regard as being obvious and which ay not be obvious -- or acceptable -- to
some

> "Let's be clear" (twice) is defensive. What kinds of unclarity is it
> trying to ward off?

The last thing he wanted was clarity. What I didn't say, because it wasn't
really my point, was that this morning I heard someone on the radio
differentiating between legal and lawful. Generally I would close the door
on such a discussion and leave to their privacy At that point anyway I was
looking my right boot, holding my left boot. So he may have been asserting
_legal_ aggressively Certainly that's in this context defensive, but
defensive of aggression

Unclarity with regards to motive: "this is
> about...legality" and not, for example, cash or crypto-racist nimbyism.
> Unclarity with regards to the projected outcome: "it will
> end" as intended rather than abort or be turned back.

Yes, clearly, but he did not say that.

It is like - ish - the announcements that say _because we are late, we
shall now not call at the following stations_ eliding the decision they
have made, claiming a false causality

and in such elisions sprout sometimes not just muddles but genocides

> But the situation *is* unclear. The fog of war's come down. "The
> operation" is going to be a mess, or made a mess of. The arguments around
> the rights and wrongs of it are not going to be decisively settled, to
> general agreement, in favour of either side. Their respective polemics
> will strive mightily to banish unclarity, but unclarity is going to win.

I think the fog is mental here I doubt either is striving for clarity. The
council has frequently refused to debate / speak, merely referring to how
long this has been going on

Israel is very good at that. We've been negotiating for n years!

No, you've been delaying and talking bollocks for n years

It's going to be a mess. Yes. It will be made a mess of. Yes. But the
individuals concerned are also doing something, waffling, talking crap.

We can make something of it, but that something is then open to debate.

It's to do with liars always hating to be called liars, which is from some
viewpoints odd. They would prefer to lie to not be called liars than to be
called liars.

This man was lying. He wasn't trying to be clear The legality of the
situation isn't clear. And it's not that they ARE stupid but that they
simulate stupidity rather than accept reality.

I'd better go back to work, I think. I have a computer beside which says
_You are on a network_ and then asks what I want to do; and when I tell it
the reply is _but you are not on a network_

I may have to send in the bailiffs

-----
UNFRAMED GRAPHICS by Lawrence Upton
42 pages; A5 paperback; colour cover