> So poetry in English became serious when someone tried rock climbing in
> ice
> skates, Bob? Is that why they're lying on the ground (I presume the
> climber
> is too). It's crampons you need, not skates.
>
> Ok, I'm being jokey, but, if this refers to the Prelude (does it?) it
> seems
> to have forgotten there was a lot before that, with or without skates,
> unless nobody's told me that Caedmon or the poets who wrote Deor or Wuld
> and
> Eadwacer or Beowulf were all fanatical skaters and would be playing major
> league hockey if they were alive now.

Good work.  It's an opinion many may disagree with.  "Ascent" may be a
problem.  It seems to suggest to you that nothing came before.  I probably
also may need some indication that I am writing of modern poetry in
English--i.e. poetry in the language now spoken, more or less.

> Maybe it refers to the Thames freezing over in the 17th century, and
> Jonson
> and Donne and Mr Shakespeare et al have all left their skates off while
> they
> slip into the Mermaid for some sack?

Your levity has become a bit strained, David.

> Ok, (again), I don't know what it refers to, but the image of ice (very
> shiny stuff) drowns whatever faint glow that latinate luminescence has
> while
> the following lines are ordinary old-style litcrit fustian with the
> well-worn mountain of an image that must be a stump by now so many people
> have trodden it ( anyhow too Parnassus is a Greek mountain with a ski
> centre
> or two and a lift nowadays as well as ancient cave-dwelling muses with a
> repressed hobby of tearing tuneful males apart not the place to go ice
> skating I'd say)

Points worth thinking about.  Thanks.  I tend to think "ascent" no longer
metaphorical enough to ignite visions of Parnassus, etc.--although Parnassus
would work in a poem nowadays, having been in retirement long enough to
revive.

--Bob